If you’ve ever experienced a migraine, you’re well aware of how painful and irritating it can be. At Midwest Neurology Associates, we don’t only provide back pain relief for Crown Point, IN, residents. We also provide pain relief for those who suffer from migraines and severe headaches.
The first step in tackling your migraine pain is to understand what a migraine is and how it can affect you. Read on to learn five things you need to know about migraines.
1. Migraines are the result of overactive nerve cells. A migraine occurs when overactive nerve cells send signals to the trigeminal nerve — the nerve that allows you to feel sensations in your head and face. Activation of the trigeminal nerve releases chemicals that cause the blood vessels in your brain to swell, resulting in inflammation and pain.
2. Doctors aren’t sure what causes migraines. Doctors don’t currently agree on what causes migraines. However, most doctors and scientists agree that chronic migraines seem to be a genetic condition.
3. Migraines can last a long time. Everyone occasionally deals with annoying headaches. For those who suffer from migraines, however, often deal with long-lasting pain. In fact, they can last for up to 72 hours.
4. Many Americans suffer from migraines. If you’re always dealing with migraines, you’re not alone! According to data from the American Migraine Foundation, about 36 million Americans suffer from chronic migraines.
5. Females are more likely to experience migraines. Women are three times as likely to suffer from migraines than men are. Thankfully, many women who suffer from chronic migraines report that the severity of their headaches lessens over time.
Now is the time to take control over your life and conquer your migraine symptoms with Midwest Neurology Associates. If you’d like to learn more about our comprehensive migraine, headache, or back pain relief for Dryer, IN, residents, give our team a call today at 219-200-4676.